What We're Reading (in English):
- Bloggings by Boz: simply put, the best blog on all affairs in Latin America, with the occasional digression into other items related to security, politics, and culture.
- Just the Facts Blog: This blog run by a coalition of like-minded activist NGOs in the Latin America space represent the best there is for Latin America policy advocacy inside the Beltway (Washington DC). Since Adam Isacon - DC's best-informed Colombia analyst - took over the blog, the quality of the content has increased significantly.
- InSight Crime: Run by investigative journalist Steve Dudley and his partner, this site focuses specifically on organized crime in Latin America. Launched in late 2010, it has already established itself as one of the premier sources of information on T.O.C. in Latin America.
- Border Reporter: managed by Michel Marizco, this site sometimes uncovers interesting information relevant to organized criminal activity, mostly the Sinaloa Federation, on the Sonora/Arizona border.
- Borderland Beat: Run from somewhere in Mexico, this relatively new blog presents daily information compiled from various Mexican media outlets on criminal activity in that country. Caution: graphic videos and photos sometimes posted.
- Colombia Reports: This Medellin-based news portal offers a wide range of information relevant to Colombian politics, security, culture, and travel. There is a regular flow of good information on the FARC and other Colombian public security interests that keeps us interested.
- Brazil Intelligence: This relatively new Brazil-based news portal is one of the few sites that offers a regular digest of information relevant to politics and business in Brazil. Most of the content is behind a paywall.
- Brazzil Magazine: As an online magazine that covers most topics under the Brazilian sun, this source occasionally breaks news in English hard to find elsewhere. Despite the questionable and fairly disorganized site design, the information is usually well sourced.
- Central American Politics: This blog, run by an ass't professor of political science at the Univ. of Scranton offers insightful posts on topics related to politics in Latin America, with - as the title suggests - a particular focus on Central America.
- San Antonio Express-News: This small newspaper often reports on the US side of the drug war. It is a useful gauge of exactly how much violence is spilling over the border from Mexico north into Texas.
- The Monitor (McAllen): A well-sourced border rag, this news paper features some of the best investigative pieces in English available on Mexican organized crime but you have to click past the home page to find those gems.